background

Friday, October 21, 2011

Day 10

Yesterday we were sitting in a cafe in town and a little girl wandered in and stood looking at me as I ate my cheeseburger and fries (so yummy after all the starch of Africa). I was pretty sure I had seen her in the shop next door when we were site seeing. But there was no one with her now. She was so cute, probably only 2 years old. So I picked her up, gave her a French fry, and walked outside. I started asking if anyone knew who this baby was. Her mother came running from a couple shops down and thanked me. She was a shop owner and had just thought she was in the shop sleeping. This is so Africa! Kids everywhere. They are dine with nursery school here at Caanan (2-6 year olds) and they walk home. Down the streets on their own!

Last night Pastor Isaac shared his story. It was amazing. A story of persecution and miracles. I hope to share it here someday.

We visited Serving His Children today. The first room we walked into caught me off guard. A little one was laying in a bed on oxygen and IVs, the same portable oxygen tank I carried onto a plane over a year ago when I brought Gaby home. I had to step out and compose myself.

Renee that runs this sweet ministry apologized. I was embarrassed that someone that works everyday to help these children that no one cares for would say that to me. This is a part of the process for me. I am glad to be here. I want to see these things. Even if they are hard and hurt. My hurt is nothing compared to the pain these little ones are going through.

Spent time holding little ones that probably weigh less than 12 lbs. and are 2 and 3 years old. One little girl is sitting and crying and crying. We go and find her Aunt (they come to this program with a caregiver like mom or aunt that can learn to take care of them). She needs her diaper changed. The aunt is out back doing laundry. She says she will change her and then she takes her and sits her back in the porch and leaves again.

So I take her in and change her diaper. This was bad. She had newborn poop all over her and there were bugs crawling on the towel I was changing her on. Her little body was so small. Her waist was the size of my two wrists. Her bones were really all she had left. I cleaned her up and Diana snuggled her with a blankie and she calmed down. I was able to hold her after cleaning up and her little body was so frail. She liked to be bounced and patted but I was afraid I would break her. Poor sweet baby. She moaned as she drank her milk. It hurt her little body to drink anything. As I cuddled her and kissed her head I thought I am so glad that I get to be the one to love this little girl today. Lucky me.

We ended the day with a boat ride on the Nile. Talk about beauty.

- Posted from my phone

No comments:

Post a Comment